Livinginvietnam.com | Forum and Directory

PREV
NEXT
http://www.livinginvietnam.com/expats-community/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/hanoigk-is-103.jpg
http://www.livinginvietnam.com/expats-community/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/CentralVNgk-is-103.jpg
http://www.livinginvietnam.com/expats-community/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/hochiminhcitygk-is-103.jpg

JOIN THE EXPAT COMMUNITY

• Hanoi and North Vietnam
  • Danang and Central Vietna...
  • Ho Chi Minh City and Sout...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read!

Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 6 years 8 months ago #6952

Hey All,

My son has gone to this 'school' for 6 months. Now he no longer goes there, it is not good school.

In 6 months he learned NO english, he could not even see what a letter was like A B C etc. My Vietnamese wife called up many times about this and the principal laughed and said he will learn good english soon. I decided to go and talk to the principal but she could not speak ANY english and was a bit rude to me, the first time i try and visit they sleep in the reception area and we could not wake them so we come back later in the day (very unprofessional sleep in reception area during day time give me a bad impression straight away)

How can a principal of an English language Kindergarten not speak English, even her Assistant Principal had no idea what I was talking about and kept smiling at me and saying, ok ok ok over and over again. She drive me crazy with her unhelpful attitude and lack of being able to communicate with me. This is Vietnamese school, not for foreign kid at all, they need good foreign program to help kid learn properly but I think they do not have at all.

Eventually I asked if anyone spoke English and she said she would get the deputy head of english, it was an Australian woman, very scruffy looking and smell of smoke.

I spoke about my sons problem and asked why he was not learning any English. She told me that the teachers were not paid much money and that they had very few resources at the school because of money. I could not believe she was telling me all of this as a parent but she just did not seem to care at all. She said teachers only stay a short time and it would be better if we could teach our son english at home in the evenings.

Really i was so shocked by this, i said he came to learn english and she said better to go to a more expensive school. She tell me some class have too many children to teach so very hard to learn english. I ask what they teach and she tell me that they have curriculum and I ask to see, she say that I can not see, not my business! I so angry with the attitude of everyone i speak too, my head go so crazy!

We talk maybe 10 minutes and she said she must go as she was on her lunchbreak. I called my wife sooo angry with Stamford Grammar, she call and speak to many other parents from the school and they agree not good, the class assistants did not take good care of children and it was worst school they take their children too. Some parents also agree to take the children out of Stamford 'school' and send to better school. Some parent mover kids to other school but they concerned it so dirty and not safe for their kid. When i leave security walk around smoking cigarettes around my kids, how disgusting.

I do research and now our son go to better school, Saigon Kids. If you want to save your money and have a safe kid and good teaching DO NOT send your kid to Stamford Grammar, i think that many children who go Stamford will learn nothing and have bad start to life. Saigon Kid have reception and principal who speak English, i think Stamford do not understand how to teach kid properly and look after kid well. My kid tell us that assistant sometime horrible and make him cry on purpose, put water on his head and laugh at him. In Oz we call this BULLYING and not how they should treat a kid. He say learn little English and spend more time watching dvd and Tom Jerry cartoon

You can email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

David
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 6 years 8 months ago #6954

• BMT
  • Thank you received: 24
Whilst not all foreigner school industrial enterprises are as bad as this, it does not surprise me. Many of these schools are simply intended to extract the maximum amount of money from their customers parents.

Please add:
Full school name
Address
Telephone number, etc.

Also affiliations, etc. See if any of these teachers are registered anywhere here or in Australia.

A letter to the city outlining the problems will help - I will e-mail you the address.
In VietNam, never leave home without toilet paper.

Re:Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 6 years 8 months ago #6957

Campus 1: Stamford Grammar - SLC Kindergarten
214 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia
District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Tel: 84-8. 3930-7343 * Fax: 84-8. 3930-1354
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Campus 2: Stamford Grammar - SLC Kindergarten
4bis Phung Khac Khoan, Ward Đakao, District 1, HCM City
Tel: 84-8. 3822-3339 - FAX: 84-8. 3823-3839

Report English Teacher to Immigration 6 years 8 months ago #6960

• Tempest
  • Junior Boarder
  • VietNam, few places better!
The Immigration Department is tightening up on foreigners who have no/aren't qualified to teach.

Maybe this smoking woman needs a trip back home before she ruins other childrens lives.

Re:Report English Teacher to Immigration 6 years 8 months ago #6962

• leecs
  • Fresh Boarder
Damn the school & the principal..

Re:Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 6 years 8 months ago #6965

Thanks for your replies, i just want to warn other parents and make sure they do not make same mistake we did and other parents did. Its a shame, the school grounds are real nice but the way the school seems to be run is crazy.

I am guessing the real owners of the school either do not care much as they get lots of money from rich parents or they do not know what the principal and staff are doing to their school, they do not care about the school or the children. I wish i could find the photo i took of the principal asleep in reception area, maybe I will look later.

Why do the government allow this - the school is not safe for kids, why do they not have a proper way to teach the kids, why are the assistants allowed to bully and mistreat the kids. Why is nobody doing anything to change the school, it is unreal to me. In Australia the school owner would go to prison for this.

I think give it time and the school will not exist much longer but i guess in Vietnam this is the norm?????????

Re:Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 6 years 8 months ago #6978

The principal and her assistant who were fast asleep when i first arrived and then sooo rude to me.

The principal and her assistant who were fast asle 6 years 8 months ago #6979

• BMT
THAT'S the problem.

You woke them up and they were a little grumpy!

Re:Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 6 years 8 months ago #6981

• Ethan
  • Junior Boarder
Schools that teaches 5 year old kids, do they all follow the same curriculum set by the goverment or have they got the freedom to teach what they want?

And is it possible to obtain these curriculum for any given school?

I have a 5 year old relative who doesn't seems to be learning very much. She goes to a Vietnamese school, which to a certain extent, is acceptable.

It seems they just sit at a desk and just follow a text book. These text books are the same year after year. Do they not learn about science, when will they be introduced to using a computer?

In short, how do I obtain a curriculum for a school?

Re:Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 6 years 8 months ago #6984

• BMT
Ethan:
I have a daughter who has come up all the way through the VN system.

VN schools are inspected, especially in TP HCM, but they care much less about foreigner schools as you have to pay big fees and they expect you to look after your own money!

There are curricular for schools and you should be able to get one by asking. If not, ask the head master and after that the district education office (and tell the head) where you will definitely see the curriculum.

TC HCM schools seem to incorporate certain teaching materials in the programs that parents have to purchase. My daughter was offered what we might call home economics but she demanded to be allowed to follow the boys as their alternate held much more interest for her, besides she knows how to burn water and rice.

At 5 years old they would be beginning a heavier curriculum. You should check with families who live around you and find out their opinions on schools. A friend here in TP HCM drives her son to a school 25 minutes away as she knows the teachers are good - and the parents tip most teachers VND100,000 a month so they stay at the school.

Re:Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 6 years 7 months ago #7010

• leecs
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Report English Teacher to Immigration 6 years 7 months ago #7035

Tempest wrote:
The Immigration Department is tightening up on foreigners who have no/aren't qualified to teach.

Maybe this smoking woman needs a trip back home before she ruins other childrens lives.

G'day

After thinking some more and getting more angry about our wasted money my wife today reported the school to Immigration. They ask a lot of question about teachers, how much we paid each month to look after our 3 year old and said they will look into the school and possibly open investigation. They tell my wife too many schools think they can just be run badly but now they want to change things! She is also posting about the school on some Vietnamese forums, even though our son left 2 months ago we think it is right other parents know what happen at this school.

Dave

Re:Report English Teacher to Immigration 6 years 7 months ago #7036

• BMT
Take your complaints to the People's Committee of HCM as the education department really gets excited bout poor teachers (that is poor in their teaching abilities).

You will have to keep on Immigration's case - they will need names, etc.

To get a teachers position (as opposed to learning English) they need a degree in a well run school, but there again we are talking about foreign school companies set up just to get the money.

If they are not teaching properly you have to wonder what else they are doing wrong with the toddlers. There was a case a few years back where the school doped up the kids at lunch so they would sleep!

Re:Report English Teacher to Immigration 6 years 7 months ago #7041

• Driller
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Up to the age of 5 my children went to a good Vietnamese school in Vung Tau. They did n't learn much English at school but as they were talking English at home and being read books every night it certainly did them no harm. The school was well run and they learned their alphabet pretty quickly.

At that age, if money is a concern, I think it is much better to send them to a well run VN school than an International school who's main concern is making profit.

The only International schools that I considered when they got older were the ones with secondary education facilities. The way I see it is that my children will be in it for the long haul so the school should be as well.

Re:Report English Teacher to Immigration 6 years 7 months ago #7043

• BMT
I agree with you, Driller. Get the VN from school where they have to interact with others in VN catching all the vernacular, etc.

I used electronic flash cards for my daughter to learn the ABC's, along with Sesame Street. By aged 7 she was off on her own using the computer to find her resources.

What I do like about the VN school system is the work ethic. My little in in the arse is moving around by 05.30, preparing herself for the days classes and by 07.00H I'm ready to take her to school.

The school officially closes at 17.00H but parents have collectively arranged (and financed) for some teachers to remain in classes until 19.00H so they can do homework, use school computers, etc.

When examination time comes she expects to be outside the school gate by 06.30H and heaven help the teachers, or the police, if either are late. She has no fear of the police, as many other children do, she speaks to them on a peer-to-peer basis. In case others don't know it examinations are supervised by police following widespread corruption involving the 'selling' of answers a few years ago.

She never complains about homework, either, nor do teachers expect it to be handed in the day after assignment.

Compare this to Canadian schools which start around 08.30-09.00H and finish around 15.30-16.00H. Afterwards parents have to make sure that students don't get into trouble, including that of a 'close and personal' type. Homework is minimal. Sort shorts and tube tops seem to de rigeur, too. Little wonder teachers get into trouble.

Examinations are multiple-choice - the whole damn system is a failure.

One are with VN teaching I had trouble with was their presentation of maths and signage. I ended up using maths courses off the InterNet and letting the teachers use their system. It worked itself out eventually and some teachers even preferred the 'foreign' way of doing some calculations.

Re:Report English Teacher to Immigration 6 years 7 months ago #7080

Well good news, this morning my wife got a call from Eduction Department/Immigration. They say they will look at the school and surprise visit next week and check out the teachers qualifications, schools licence etc etc, if they do not have the right documents then the school will get a fine for each teacher not with the right docs. $10-15 million per teacher, wowser.

Asia Life is doing an article on pre-schools next month - watch out for it!

Re:Report English Teacher to Immigration 6 years 6 months ago #7274

Not sure what happened to you Dave, but we've been sending our son to this school for 1 month and things work out pretty good.
The english teacher (Brit guy, I think) is good and the VNamese teacher even call us at night, let us know that they noticed some kind of rash burn on my son - on her cell phone...
Anyway, I speak VNamese so I dont know if the principal can talk English or not, but I saw (and pointed to them) a few typo on their billboard.
Just want to send in another point of view, since I understand that we can not compare this school to private schools in the States, but they're not that bad either

Eric

Re:Report English Teacher to Immigration 6 years 6 months ago #7280

• Tempest
  • Junior Boarder
  • VietNam, few places better!
OP, did you see this other post about a new school system.

Not everything is bad: < www.livinginvietnam.com/index.php/forum2...spades.html?Itemid=0 >.

Have you heard anything about the school inspection, yet?

Re:Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 6 years 6 months ago #7364

Hey all, long time I travel to Sydney now I am back. My wife informed me that they look into the school and they already do an inspection.

She tell me they know they have english teacher not qualified and they have passed this onto another department as it is not their job to deal with this.

Funny, my wife have coffee with a teacher assistant who works there in D1, she tell my wife all staff unhappy, pay very little salary, school owner very bad manager and children not treated good by staff.

Whatever case, i agree different to school in Oz or America but think following.

- head teacher should be able to talk parent in English in English school
- children should be treated fairer and better
- foreign teacher should be qualified, look better, no smoke by my kids!
- school look cheap, i mean in classroom so boring wood and little games for child
- head teacher and assistant should not sleep in reception
- school look so dirty sometimes, no safe for my kids health

Conclusion is that only the reason for school like this is owner is greedy and a bad manager. I bet he never walk and look at his school to see problems, just care about making $$$$ never care about kids. I meet many business people like him, there business not do good in long term.

Re:Stamford Grammar Kindergarten - Bad school, Read! 5 years 10 months ago #9950

• CaMatLoi
Dear David ,
I read ur article and try to contact you with you by ur email address but it seems you are typo your address email . Can you give again your mail or you can email me here This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , I need some advise for my baby kindergarten too.
Here is the email I send you

Hi David ,
My name's Thu and I'm on my way finding a good kindergarten for my 3 year-old son . I'm so much regard for the message you give about the Stamford Grammar School at LivinginVietnam website , cause I'm intend to send my son there . I visited there once with my son around 4 months ago . When I just arried there , I heard baby running hurring on the upper floor and heard he's crying , I can also heard the assistant informs the other " There's parent in school " ( of course in Vietnamese ) . I'm a little worry . I told my husband about that but he say it's ok cause not all teacher can manage the children . And one thing I have to admit that it costs is acceptable with my condition . Cause I go around some several Kindergartens with that price , the condition for baby is more worst . Anyways , I read ur artical , and make up my mind and wonder how about your baby's new school . I'm mention SaiGon Kids , how about your son attitude after school and how about the condition there . Can you give me some advise if you don't mind . Please don't mind my English too , cause I didn't use it for long time .
I'm looking forward to heard from you
Best regards ,
Thu Thu
CaMatLoi:
Your membership hasn't been approved yet, it should be done today or M0nday. The e-mail access will be activated upon approval. Sine you left your address, David will see it. Moderator
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds

Protected by R Antispam