Livinginvietnam.com | Forum and Directory

PREV
NEXT
http://www.livinginvietnam.com/expats-community/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/hanoigk-is-103.jpg
http://www.livinginvietnam.com/expats-community/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/CentralVNgk-is-103.jpg
http://www.livinginvietnam.com/expats-community/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/hochiminhcitygk-is-103.jpg

JOIN THE EXPAT COMMUNITY

• Hanoi and North Vietnam
  • Danang and Central Vietna...
  • Ho Chi Minh City and Sout...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Practical advice on visas, finding a job and a place to live in Vietnam, social and business networks. From Expats to Expats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Living in Hai Phong

Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11872

• Jack_Dylan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello All,

My name is Jack and I'm from Ireland. I'll be moving to Vietnam within the next month, to Hai Phong in the north-east, and was wondering if anybody any websites or agencies that would help me to find a decent flat.

It's my first time to Vietnam, Asia in fact, so any other tips would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Jack.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11874

• BMT
  • Thank you received: 26
Hotels are cheap up there in that miserable city.

I guess you might be in oil or diving. The only other trades are power stations and rubber running shoes.

Best, as always, get there, get a cheap hotel, meet your employer (if any) or ask the hotel who can help. They are bound to find someone for you.
In VietNam, never leave home without toilet paper.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11875

• Jack_Dylan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey BMT,

Thanks for the advice. Hotels are not really that cheap though (there seems to be much more value in Ha Noi), but after a long search I found a decent valued one. I'll shack up there for a month and keep on the look-out.

I noticed your "miserable" comment. Is the city really that bad? I'm at a loss with this one, I've read and been told both marvelous and terrible things about the city.

Have you been to Hai Phong or does it just have a terrible reputation?

Regards,
Jack.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11876

• BMT
You have to know Hai Phong's history.

When the US bombers came in they used to drop on Hai Phong first (coal powered electricity) then they used to drop on Ha Noi and then they would dump anything left over on one of my favourite provinces Son La.

The whole of the north has a strange attitude to Foreigners, particularly Ha Noi.

Visitors to Hai Phong don't really sense it, but Foreign residents do - the People's Committee are registered a*seholes. But at least they screw their own as much as anyone else.

It is a temperate area, as you will find out in the winter need GOOD coats).

Wikipedia has a section on it.

Hear the girls say Yes, so may be they will make you feel at home, or at least welcomee.

Transportation to Ha Noi is not good, 4 hours along a killer highway or a slight convoluted train ride with alternate changes in Ha Noi.

The countryside around that part of VietNam is very nice, except for the crowds that flock to Ha Long Bay - north of Ha Long is great. There is also a crossing into China (visa needed) if you want in.

I've found in my life of travelling, everywhere (almost) can be enjoyable if you want it to be. I am one of those people who tell others what's like, so you can be prepared.

Are you working or just visiting?

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11891

• Jack_Dylan
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks again for the great advice.

I agree, a city is what you make of it. It seems that Hai Phong is not the best city in the world but not the worst either.

I've been keen on Vietnam for some time now, and I've read that the north is a more culturally authentic experience (correct me if I'm wrong). Also the cooler northern weather would suit me better. I've been living in Barcelona for the past two years and I wanted a change from the packed, hot, polluted, big-city environment; so I thought about a smaller Vietnamese city. I found the following blog on the net and Hai Phong seemed like a good bet:

www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Rat-on-the-Road/

I'm an English teacher, and the two couple from the blog seemed to have a ball teaching in Hai Phong. But to be honest, it's always been in the back of my mind that Ha Noi is probably where I'll end up. I reckon I'll give Hai Phong a month to see what it can offer, and then chance my arm in the big city.

Thanks again for the tips.

Jack.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11894

• bluenz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Jack,
You have the 2 extremes that far Nth, freezing in the winter, and 35C plus days in summer, I'm lucky I'm Central coast, but still has been a hot and humid summer this year, many mid 30's days with 90% humidity, last year was much cooler. There's been a few Foreign English teachers go through here in Quang Ngai.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11923

Hi. Do you want to find a job in HaiPhong?
Candy is looking for native English teachers!!! Mod

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11927

• Jack_Dylan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey bluenz, thanks for the tip. I've heard some good things about Quang Ngai, and also Da Lat. You never know...

Candy_Vietnam: I'll be seeking employment in Hai Phong yes, any ideas?

Regards,
Jack.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11929

• Driller
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
My wife is from Hai Phong so I've had to visit there 3 times and even had the misfortune to deal with the Peoples Commitee there. Its a pretty grim place and seeing as you have no real reason to choose it over anywhere else I think you could do alot better.

If you do get there please let me know if they still have the sign on the bridge that translates: "Last bastion against foreign invaders"

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11930

:laugh:

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11942

• Jack_Dylan
  • Fresh Boarder
I've heard a lot bad things about the people's committee in Hai Phong. That bridge certainly sounds like an interesting "Tourist Attraction". ;)

Candy - If you have any tips about finding a job teaching in a school / academy in Hai Phong then I would greatly appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
Jack.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11944

• sunny2012
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Jack
Welcome to Vietnam
Hanoi, HCMcity and Hai Phong city is one of the big city in Vietnam.
Have a lot of different opinion about Haiphong,any cities have advantage and disadvantage. So that, choice depend on you. But If I were you I would visit Haiphong once time. I also have a foreigner friend who living in Haiphong and everything is right with her.
If you any support in haiphongcity, I am here to help you.
Foreign teacher is a good job in English subject.There are many choice for you, you should investigate before decision

regards

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11946

Would you like to work as an English teacher? I know an English school that maybe suitable for you. I will send you a link to help you know about that school : dtlchaiphong.vn/Portal/Detail.aspx?Organ...ID=201&ContentID=232

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #11950

• scarlette
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Jack,

Hai Phong is my howntown, so truly following my heart, it is all good.
I won't give you any comments on the good or the bad. (But any question can be sent to me email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., I can give you some useful piece of advice)

I just want to come over to say hello to one newcomer and send one message, I really believe that there are no bad places in the world, it is us who decide which is bad and which is good. Hope you enjoy time here.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 7 months ago #12006

• Jack_Dylan
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy preparing everything for the big trip.

Scarlette, I like your philosophy, thanks for the advice and the email. Brilliant stuff!!

Candy, I've read very bad things about the DTLC school on the internet; bad management and they don't pay their teachers well, is it true? Have you worked or been a student there.

Thanks again to everyone.
Jack.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 6 months ago #12068

• Seigan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Jack_Dylan,

I'm a Swede living in HaiPhong at the moment and sure HP has a bad reputation in the whole of Vietnam. "HaiPhong people is dangerous people" was the first I heard when I traveled from HCMC to HP the first time. But really i have noticed that it to be all that bad. I haven't seen anything bad here - saw a hell of a lot more shady business in both HCMC and HoiAn. Just stay away from drugs, gambling and borrowing money and you will decrease you chance of getting in a bad situation - as in all towns when you are knew. Gambling dept here is the best ticket to get to the bottom of the harbor - as in the whole of Vietnam. You know the usual stuff and common sens...

I have been here several times now but moved here just a month ago with my gf. I have lived for some time in HCMC before and to my experience HP is a lot less "accessible" then the classical tourist towns such as Hanoi, Hoi An Nha Trang and HCMC and there is almost no western people here and few speak good English. There is also no "backpacker area" to my knowledge as there is in the other towns I mentioned. People in HaiPhong tend to stick together in their networks and it can be very hard to get inside those network - especially as a westerner. To get things run smoothly you need to know people that know people that are willing to fix stuff for you. This is the case in most parts of Vietnam just that tourists never sees it and even some lucky x-pats do not feel that either. So yes you are in for a treat to settle here :P But on the other hand is is quite the adventure - I see it as a challenge :P I would advice you to let HP have more then a month (as it is bit harder to settle here) and to take a crash course in Vietnamese as soon as possible - I surely will even though I speak some already...

If you like to hook up and take a beer or something or just want to ask some questions about places to visit (and not to visit) and so on - feel free to send me a private msg or drop a mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (can take some time before I answer on that mail though).

Cheers and good luck in Hai Phong :)

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 6 months ago #12109

Hi Jack,
I dont think this post is true about this school. But it's jusst my suggestion. :lol:

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 6 months ago #12110

• John Tyler
  • Fresh Boarder
Jack,
I live in Hai Phong not by choice. You will be ripped off by everyone you meet. Officials will rip you off bad. A visa in HP coast $190. Saigon $50. Marriage cost $2000 to $5000. On paper it is $50. A work permit is $1500 and up unless your employer has police connections. Go anywhere in VN but here. The South will treat you better.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 6 months ago #12111

• John Tyler
  • Fresh Boarder
DTLC is not a place to work. Notice people will not publicly comment about HP who live here? That is all I will say.

Re: Living in Hai Phong 4 years 6 months ago #12113

• BMT
John Tyler wrote:
Jack,
I live in Hai Phong not by choice. You will be ripped off by everyone you meet. Officials will rip you off bad. A visa in HP coast $190. Saigon $50. Marriage cost $2000 to $5000. On paper it is $50. A work permit is $1500 and up unless your employer has police connections. Go anywhere in VN but here. The South will treat you better.
And people thought I was being hard on Hai Phong when I posted earlier.

I think iy was something with the Americans bombing the hell out of the place before heading to Ha Noi.

One of the most corrupt Peoples Committees in VN!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds

Protected by R Antispam